Are you a new mom? Did you know there are certain foods you should be eating now that you’ve just given birth? And no I’m not talking about coffee, although all new moms probably want a big cup of joe more than anything! Today I want to share a list of foods that new moms should be eating and why!
1. Salmon. Salmon is a nutritional powerhouse for new moms. It is loaded with a type of fat called DHA that is crucial to the development of your baby’s nervous system. Breast milk contains DHA, but levels of this essential nutrient are higher in the milk of women who get more DHA in their diets.
2. Low Fat Dairy Products. Be it yogurt, milk, or cheese, these foods are important because they provide protein, vitamin D, and vitamin B.
3. Lean Beef. Lean beef will boost your energy and give you a higher dose of B-12.
4. Legumes. Beans like black beans and kidney beans are especially important for vegetarian moms and are a great source of non-animal protein.
5. Brown Rice. It’s important to incorporate healthy whole grain carbs like brown rice in your diet to keep your energy levels up.
6. Blueberries. These will pack your body full of antioxidants and good for you vitamins.
7. Oranges. Oranges are a great food to help boost new mom’s energy and give you lots of vitamin C.
8. Whole wheat bread. Whole wheat bread is packed full of folic acid which is crucial to your baby’s development.
9. Leafy Greens. Greens, especially spinach and broccoli are filled with vitamin a. They are also filled with antioxidants and are low in calories.
10. Water. New moms are more prone to dehydration so it’s important to up your water intake.
What foods did you add to your diet when you first gave birth? Leave a comment and let us know!
Category: Mama Tips of the Week