I hit another home run with dinner the other night and I just had to share. I have been looking for a fabulous potato cheese soup recipe lately and have made four different recipes trying to find a really good one. I only want to share the best with you guys (and my family!). My one requirement for the soup recipe was that it had to be made in the crockpot. I don’t have time to stand over a stove and stir soup for 45 minutes. I need to throw it all in the crockpot in the morning and return to delicious soup ready to eat at dinner time. After school just gets too crazy to be peeling potatoes and mixing up soup for an hour!
So, this recipe is it! One of the best potato cheese soups that I’ve had. Plus, the family LOVED it! Even my picky little 3-year-old cleaned his plate…umm..I mean bowl. This recipe makes a lot of soup – a whole big crockpot full. I would say it would feed 8-10 people but I made this much so that we had leftovers! Yum!
- 10 cups of chopped potatoes – (You can substitute 2 bags (32 oz) of frozen southern-style diced hash brown potatoes if you want to make it even easier!)
- ¾ cup chopped onion
- 1 medium stalk celery, diced (approx ½ cup)
- 2 cartons (32-oz) Progresso® chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 5 tablespoons Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup milk
- ¾ cup half and half
- 2 bags (8 oz) shredded Cheddar cheese (4 cups)
- ½ cup real bacon pieces (optional for garnish)
- 4 medium green onions, sliced (optional for garnish)
- In slow cooker, mix potatoes, onion, celery, broth and water.
- Cover; cook on low heat setting 6 to 8 hours.
- After the 6-8 hours, in a small bowl, mix flour into milk; stir into potato mixture. Increase heat setting to High. Cover; cook 20 to 30 minutes or until mixture thickens.
- Remove about 5 cups of soup and place in a bowl. Add 1 bag of cheddar cheese (2 cups) and puree with an immersion blender until the cheese is incorporated. Return the pureed soup to the crockpot.
- Add 2nd bag of cheese (2 cups) to all the soup in the crockpot and stir until melted. Garnish individual servings with bacon and green onions. Sprinkle with pepper if desired.
*Recipe modified from Betty Crocker’s Recipe
Category: Family-Friendly Food