Peaches Geldof Drops Baby- But Don’t Worry, Her Cellphone is Safe!

It’s been a rough few days for Peaches Geldof. The 23 year-old British presenter and daughter of Sir Bob Geldof was walking along a London street talking on her cellphone with her 5 month-old son in his stroller, when they hit a small hole in the ground and the stroller fell. Most importantly, the poor baby fell. And now I’m going to let the photos tell the story…..

Walking and talking

Oh no!

"Oh don't worry, my baby just fell onto the street"

Comfort + Talking on Cellphone = Excellent Multitasking

Don’t worry people, her cellphone is safe! Her call was NOT disconnected!!

No wait a minute….

You know how much we hate to judge mothers here at Baby Gizmo, but I think I speak on behalf of everyone when I say:

Woman- DROP THE PHONE!! Your baby is lying on the street and mom can’t even mutter an “I’ll call you back”?! Have we now got to the point where our phones/social lives are more important than the safety of our child? No! No we have not!!

Peaches later took to her twitter account to state:

Was just walking with Astala in his pram and there was a massive hole in the pavement I didn’t see as was pushing the pram and the pram -fell into it and toppled over! Thankfully Astala didn’t fall out as was strapped in and so Didnt get hurt at all or cry. But still the London pavements are SO dangerous!

Now in fairness, I was born and raised in London and yes, the streets are full of cracks and holes. And I really don’t want to doubt the integrity of a mother, but that baby doesn’t look strapped in to me. Does he to you? Thankfully, baby Astala was not hurt. But Peaches has been hearing from many shocked and outraged people across the internet.

Thank you for teaching us all of us a valuable lesson Peaches- child safety first. Always.

What are your thoughts on the photos?

Ladan About Ladan

Ladan Rashidi, Senior Editing Manager.
Ladan is a British mother of two, who moved to California in 2008 to live with her husband. Born and raised in London, she has the very British sarcastic sense of humor and is always laughing at herself. And her husband. None of her previous workplaces prepared her for becoming a mother and having the two most demanding bosses in the world, but also the cutest.

Comments

1. RACHEL SINGLETON WALKER says:

quite agree with you.
    I find her response and behaviour unacceptable on a number of points:-

1) I lived in London for about 11 years and whilst I remember the pavements being uneven and displaced and yes, cracked – as a “Londoner” I knew this and when walking made sure I watched the ground too. So pushing a pushchair/ pram, I think I’d be watching out for this even more…
    2) no way was that child strapped in. Nonsense. He fell out.
    3) are you fricking kidding me still talking on the phone whilst he’s fallen out?

2. RACHEL SINGLETON WALKER says:

quite agree with you.
    I find her response and behaviour unacceptable on a number of points:-

2) no way was that child strapped in. Nonsense. He fell out.

Get a grip Peaches! He’s the precious irreplaceable thing in your life. Not a bloody phone. YES I AM JUDGING BECAUSE SOMETIMES PEOPLE ARE IDIOTS.

3. Dawn L. says:

That baby was NOT strapped in – no way! The photos tell all….

4. Jessica Barnhart says:

A lot of us have had our stroller tip over (hanging too much on the back of the maclaren, hitting a bump we thought we’d be able to navigate safely, someone not looking where they’re going and plowing over your stroller), that’s what the safety belt is for! If she didn’t want to strap him in she should have had him in a bassinet/pram rather than on top of a blanket in his car seat. I think the issue here is more about improperly used baby gear, not her being on the phone. We hear about thousands of kids every year getting hurt because the parents aren’t using the gear properly (letting kids stick their fingers near your maclaren while folding it, putting the bumbo on the counter, carrying your child in the fold up bath seat). Maybe it goes hand in hand, the parents aren’t paying enough attention to what their doing because they’re on the phone, or maybe some parents just don’t pay enough attention, period.

5. Agree with the comments on fb. Your company built up credibility with thoroughness and keeping your readers (your clients) in mind.

Your recent “social commentary” posts (aka “we don’t WANT to judge, but we ARE going to anyway”) – including the recall posts that are full of judgement – are seriously damaging your credibility and your reputation.

Save the posts for your personal blogs and Fb accounts, rather than your company’s.

Stop being defensive and take a good look at the feedback your clients are giving you.

And if you don’t understand that, at least follow the age-old advice: If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all.

6. hillary says:

while it does look very very bad i must agree that it is not nice to judge. there are many worse things she could be doing!! who knows if you would have dropped your phone first in this instance? you don’t know unless it really happens to you.

7. Cassandra says:

I agree with “A” too…A lot of your recent posts are negative and judging, or maybe those are the only ones that I am seeing. I would like to see more posts on good mamas than goofed up.

8. Cassandra says:

Opps**I intended to write “than those who goofed up.”

9. And how kind of the photographer to snap away rather than helping her and and the baby.

10. Sandra says:

Her baby did not look strapped in to me and I would have dropped my phone trying to make sure my baby was okay. It kind of looks like she’s digging into her purse in the third picture.

11. For a company that hates to judge mothers, i sure have read a lot of judgemental commentaries lately. If you want to judge, fine, i dont care, i can easily avoid reading this kind of trash. But, dont try to hide behind your judgements with a ‘we dont judge here, but…’ clause. It may make you feel better about being that judgemental parent you think youre not, but i dont think youre fooling anyone…youre certainly not fooling me.

12. These comments are priceless. “There are worse things she could do”? What does that mean? That showing little reaction and not giving your child fulls attention when he has FALLEN OUT OF HIS PRAM is really okay because at least she didn’t snort a line of coke while she was down there? Seriously?

I don’t find the tone of this piece to be at all judgmental, but I think I take more umbrage at the “I don’t want to judge mothers” thing than the rest of it. No, there’s no point jn judging mothers for making one of many viable choices in mothering (Should I work? Breast or bottle? Cloth or disposible?) But, sometimes people do things so ridiculous thaey need to be judged: not strapping him in, not giving up the phone, not seeming to react very much at all, taking to her twitter to lie about something the pictures are very clear about.

Not cool, Peaches. Not cool.

13. The baby was strapped in, only the arms though. But then again anyone with eyes that see the pretty yellow straps across the baby would be able to notice that. If they weren’t so quick to judge they would also see the straps. Yes, the straps should have been done completely, but if they weren’t done at all it might have been much worse. I’m in no way defending her because as everyone else stated.. She didn’t drop the phone, she didn’t show concern.. I just found it funny that no one else actually took the time out to see the straps that were so beautifully colored. =]

14. jane doe says:

@Elmo, no the baby wasn’t strapped. You can clearly see that the yellow strap that you called is part of the design in the blanket. NOT A STRAP. So the mother lied that she completely strapped the baby, she didn’t have any reaction from the fall, she wans’t paying attention, and she didn’t drop the call because her baby wasn’t important enough. Nice to now the kid is in a loving and safe environment.