Minivans are Kind of Sexy

Before children, I had but one thing on my list of things I’d never do as a parent: Buy a minivan. I mean, sure, I knew that with children comes stuff and stuff needs to be hauled, but I vowed that instead of a minivan we’d get a SUV. Yes, an SUV was the safer, more “fashionable” route that didn’t scream “Look! I’m not a woman anymore, I’m a mom.”

We purchased our “fashionable” SUV months before our second daughter was born in October, but now, now I’m having second thoughts about whether an SUV was really the right choice. Now, I’m thinking that we need a minivan. I’m beginning to think that minivans are, well, kind of hot. *Gasp.* I know. I know. Someone tell the old woman I used to be to please stand up? But, before you do that, hear my list of 5 reasons why I’m thinking about joining the minivan-parent bandwagon.

The sliding doors are hot. OK. When I had one daughter, the whole opening the door thing didn’t bother me, at all. But now with two daughters, and a diaper bag, and Summer-like heat, I think that a push-to-open sliding door would be kind of nice. Also, a sliding door would also open wide enough for me not to accidentally hit my door on the car next to me when putting my kids in the car in tight spaced parking lots.

I can store my crap. I’ll be the first to admit that while I have a streamlined diaper bag with two girls, the back of my SUV looks like a hot mess. With sweaters and blankets and strollers and bags and other crap, I hardly have room for groceries or other crap. But if I had something like this, I’d be able to easily avoid the whole hot-mess backseat issue:

In floor storage in a Honda Odyssey

I’ve embraced the mom factor. Before children, I really didn’t want to look like a mom so I made it a point to avoid doing the things that others could use to stereotype me as a common mom. But now, I’m a mom. And I like being a mom. So, I no longer have that sense of shame that I once felt in embracing my new reality. I’m a mom and a woman who kind of digs minivan. Yeah. That’s me!

The kid friendly, separate seats work well with massive car seats. My daughters are twenty months apart. This means that they’re both in huge car seats that make my big SUV feel really small for a very long time. So, I need a solution, other than a school bus to fit my kids and other human bodies that may want to come along for the ride. I’m thinking this would work nicely:

Interior of a Honda Odyssey

It’s a fun house on wheels. As a child of a minivan mom, I liked being able to stand up and play in my car with the dozens of toys I’d leave on our van’s floor. And as a mom…uh, wait, never mind. I think SUVs may have an advantage here. *ahem. Moving on.

So these are my five (or, really, four) main reasons I’m re-considering minivans. For now, we’re keeping our SUV, but who knows, maybe a year from now I’ll be able to live out my dreams of cruising to playdates in a sexy minivan. We’ll see.

Do you own a minivan or an SUV? What reasons did you use to help make your purchasing decision?

Comments

1. Jackie says:

My minivan is named Brandi! She is a hot red head! And all 3 of my boys love her! Even the hubs….but he will never admit it!

2. They have SUVs that have optional 7seating, if you’re still so inclined to have an SUV-that sliding door is what gets me though. My oldest likes to swing doors open and I’m afraid he’s going to cause major damage to the car next to us if he gets much stronger… lol

3. Stephanie says:

Safety in the Honda Odyssey is the number 1 reason I bought the minivan and it is super easy to get the kids out of their carseats. We also had twins so it makes it easy to throw in the Duallie BOB and their gear. We even bought a dresser and we were able to fit it in the back of the minivan which is a bonus!

4. Jennifer Abramshe says:

I was the same way. I had two kids and was driving a Ford Escape. We were comfortable as a family in it. One child was in a car seat, the other old enough to not need it anymore. Then I got pregnant, I thought it would still work, then found out I was actually pregnant with twins. We looked into 7 seating SUVs because I swore I would not buy a minivan. When we went to Nissan the salesman was showing me larger SUVs and then said why don’t you test drive a minivan. I caved and test drove the Quest. I knew it was exactly what we needed. It took a lot to get over the “shame” of now being a minivan owner. It is too much for me when I am by myself, but with four kids it has been a lifesaver! The overhead DVD helped too. I love the walk through center row. Now with 3 kids in carseats I realize that the space of that huge Nissan Armada just wouldn’t be enough. Most larger SUVs don’t have the rear cargo space for a triple stroller but with my Quest I have a nice deep well to store my stroller in and not have to worry about it falling out. Now if only I had room for the stroller and groceries LOL.

5. Gail Devine says:

I have a Dodge Grand Caravan – and while I got it b/c it’s a company car and the biggest one I could pick… i LOVE it and would own one if I had to buy a car.

The auto-open doors are GOLDEN when you have twins (plus another)… I don’t know how people get their kids in the car in parking spots the way people park so close here… with a sliding door- it’s simple!

I fold one of the middle seats down into the floor- and we have tons of space back there- LOVE it.

6. Sherry says:

We have a Dodge Caravan and I love almost everything about it. The only draw back is automatic transmission, as I prefer a manual, but it is worth the sacrifice with 4 children. Sliding doors are a life saver with infant car seats. No squeezing between a door and the parked vehicle beside. We have plenty of space for car seats and strollers, although our double takes up most of the trunk space, lol. The best part of a minivan is all the leg room for everyone, keeps the back of my seat free of kicking feet ;)

7. Bayla Lax-Blumstein says:

I love the new Honda Odyssey. The only reason I have an SUV is because I live at the bottom of a hill and my driveway is up a steep hill and in the event of even minor snowstorms I’d become a prisoner to my house because minivans just can’t make it up those hills.

Things I like about minivans:
    Sliding doors
    Lots of storage/cargo space
    More elbow/leg room than an SUV

Things I like about my SUV:
    4WD

8. I love my Toyota sienna. It’s got tons of space for strollers and whatnot, I can throw it all in the trunk.
    I can fit all 4 of my carseats with no problem, I love the sliding doors as well.
    My husband has no problem driving it, in fact he loves it as well.
    All though he has his own car, when he takes the kids out he does need the minivan cause it has the carseats, but he has no problem driving it.

9. I love your “Minivans are sexy” blog! I am totally right there with you. Before children I made a pact with some of my girlfriends that we would never own a VAN… A SUV yes but never a van. With two boys 27 months apart and 2 huge carseats (I currently have a Nissan Altima Car) I tried to sit in the backseat with the two carseats on either side ( the carseats do not fit side by side, they are too big!!!) there was no room for me. With a want for one more child ( with lots of prayers and crossing my fingers for a girl) I recently went to a Honda dealership to look at their SUV… It is too small to fit 3 carseats side by side since I will not sacrifice safety and move my child into a booster and with the 3rd row up I do not have room for my double stroller. Also with 2 carseats in the middle row you cannot fold the seat to use the pass- thru to get to the 3rd row!!! So needless to say Honda Odyssey here we come (My husband is smiling because he finally one the on-going disagreement.